Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Heavenly Perspective

One of the greatest joys of my life has been experiencing the continued blessings I received by working five summers at K2 (Kanakuk Kamps--a christian sports camp). As I’ve often looked back on these fond times, there are certain memories that seem to hold greater intrinsic value for me—leading kids to Christ, preaching the word at Backwoods, baptizing kampers, etc. Amidst all of these tender remembrances rises one memory I continue to enjoy regularly.
When I was a counselor for cabin 19, I used to stay up late at night talking to one camper in particular (sorry Trish). Literally, for long stretches of time we would have conversations like this:

Camper: Nika, someday we’re going to be in heaven.
Me: I know, isn’t that awesome.
C: No, it’s so much better than awesome.
Me: Yeah, there are no words to describe the awesomeness.
C: And, it’s going to be forever.
Me: I know, I can’t wrap my mind around that.
(Silence as we both tried to contemplate forever)
C: No, I mean forever.
Me: Yeah, forever.
(Giggles ensued as we became giddy over the thought of dwelling with God forever in Heaven)
Camper: No, but Nika, someday we’re going to be in heaven…(and then the convo cycled like this for quite some time).

There are so many reasons why I love this memory, none of the least of which is because I particularly adore this camper still to this day. However, the reason tonight I am holding this memory so dear is because it marks one of the first times I really dwelled upon the eternality of my faith and relationship with God.

I am such a finite being with such feeble finite thoughts. Naturally, this earthly perspective allows me to navigate through the necessary tasks and endeavors of life. However, it also robs me of recognizing the purpose for all of my necessary tasks and endeavors: to glorify God. So many times I press on in this life toward my humanly goals, but Paul pressed on to win the prize for which God had called him heavenward (Phil 3:14).

The more I dwell on God’s will and purpose for my life, the more I am convinced that it is absolutely necessary to bathe my actions in an eternal perspective. If not, sharing Christ becomes a burden instead of an opportunity to shape someone’s future forever. If not, reading my bible becomes a legalistic task instead of an opportunity to learn about the God I will worship for eternity. If not, the trials of this world overwhelm my spirit instead of viewing them as experiences to sanctify me before my final dwelling. If not, I fiercely seek the desires of the flesh and temporary things of this world instead of forsaking all to walk with the Lover of my Soul. Simply put, without an eternal perspective my motives and desires are in great jeopardy of pursuing my will instead of God’s.

Someday I will be with God in heaven, and more and more I desire for that day to draw near. But until that day, I do not want to live my life as if heaven is a distant destination and I am simply waiting. Rather, I want to live my life as one who constantly remembers where I’m heading and my purpose until I get there.

Camper: Nika, someday we’re going to be in heaven.
Me: I know, let’s press on in the faith so that when that day comes we can say we’ve been poured out like a drink offering and God will say well done good and faithful servants, welcome home.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Recently I have become aware in moments, at how much time I am wasting here on Earth. I wonder - if I truly believed that day would come when God shows me what my life was worth to the Kingdom... wouldn't I be living differently now? Just yesterday I was enjoying the presence of Ian (2 years old now) as we were driving to school, and I thought about how quickly the time is going. Doesn't it pass quickly because he brings me such joy? How is it that even when I WANT to have that kind of joyful, intimate, everyday relationship with Jesus, I don't invest, I don't slow down, I don't just marvel at the songs HE is singing, at the ways HE is loving, at the ways HE makes me laugh to have those same moments with Him? I think I'll try that some more today. Thank goodness we serve a loving, forgiving God!