Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What's in a name?

Despite the commands throughout scripture to imitate God and His character, there are few times when I read my Bible that I think to myself, “Hey, I do that.” Consequently, I am always delighted when I come to the passage in Genesis 17 where we see God giving Abram a new name—Abraham. While there are deep theological implications to this re-naming, I will simply liken it to giving a nickname. Which, for those of you that know me, now understand why I enjoy this passage. I love nicknames. In fact, if I call you by your real, parent-given name, then you are in rare company.
[Allow me to digress for a moment to brag…I once gave a friend of mine the nickname “Pookie” in high school, and it soon became her name used by almost everyone in those days. Yes, I do delight in that, yes, I’m that vain.]
Back to the point, when I give out nicknames, it doesn’t really matter to me what everyone else calls you either. I will continue to call you by that nickname, even if I’m the only one. To the world, you may be Lori, but to me you’re Pookie. To the world, you may be Laura, but to me you’re Lo. To the world you may be Nick, but to me you’re Papi…and this could go on for quite some time. You see, when I name someone, I’m not only giving them a title, I’m also to some degree possessing them (now, don’t get me wrong, by giving you a nickname I’m not trying to own you or subordinate you, I’m just letting you know that I love you and want to claim you as my friend). You’re MY Pookie, You’re MY Lo, You’re MY Papi. I think in large part, that’s what God is doing also. Abram is no longer just a Middle-Eastern man shepherding his flock, he is now Abraham—a man chosen by God to begin the line of descendancy that will lead to Christ. He’s God’s now.
So, what’s my point? The dishing out of nicknames didn’t stop in the Old Testament with Abraham’s clan. God has given His children (you and I) names as well. Here are just a few:
Royal Priests, Holy, Chosen (1 Pet 2:9)
Beloved (Jude 1)
Saints (Rom 1:7)
Blessed (Matt 25:34)
Brothers of Christ (Luke 8:21)
Child of Promise (Rom 8:9)
Child of Light (Eph 5:8)
Elected (Col 3:12)
Excellent (Ps 16:3)
Co-Heirs (Eph 3:6)
Heir of the Grace of Life (1 Pet 3:7)
Just (Hab 2:4)
Lambs (John 21:15)
Lively stones (1 Pet 2:5)
Ransomed (Is 35:10)
Redeemed (Is 51:11)

Now I hope from this blog you have not assumed that my point is to encourage everyone to become people that give out nicknames (although, I do recommend it). Rather, I hope to encourage you to realize that you’ve been named, and and are ultimately His. To the world you may be no one; to Him you’re His Redeemed. To the world, you may be average; to Him you’re His Royal Priesthood….

5 comments:

seriouslymere said...

...trying to recall if you love me enough to not call me by my real name...
i love this passage so thank you for the great reminder of it today, as well as the reminder of who we are to God. : )

Katharine said...

should I be upset that you're the only person I know from kamp who actually calls me Katharine? can you please publish a book already? once upon a time you told me i could be your manager. we were in sugar shack, you must have been cracked out on oreo milkshake.

bekah brinkley said...

when you do publish your book, i can be your secretary and coordinate all your book signings. i mean, if i can do it for Joe, i can do it for you.....right?

thanks for another stellar post!!

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

I'm not one for leaving comments, so I must really like this one. Or maybe its you. Maybe both...

I'm not sure what I can contribute to your book, but when I write one you can be sure that you'll be in there. Even if its hidden somehow. You'll be in there.

Love, Lo =)