Monday, September 9, 2013

God Sees and Knows

One independent study course stands between me and a Masters of Theology degree. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel forces me to consider what life could look like post graduation. What do people do with their free time? Does anyone actually use the words supralapsarianism and eschatology? How do "normal" people study the Bible? 

I still lack answers for the first two, but I answered the third question by googling "Bible reading plans" a few weeks ago and stumbled upon one that DTS created for their students. Apparently, my school knew we would need help reading the Bible. 

Tonight I read Exodus 1-3. In English. Without a commentary. Without the pretext of researching for an assignment. Just because. 

It was good.

Reading tonight reminded me of the promises of old I seem to have forgotten. 

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Heb 4.12

Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts. Jer 15:16

The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. Ps 19:7

And I could continue. 

So, what pierced my soul tonight, you ask? Exodus 2:24-25 "And God heard their groaning and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. God SAW the people of Israel--and God KNEW."

That's it. Nothing academic or esoteric. No need to look up the Hebrew grammar to exegete the text. The God of the Universe who sovereignly rules over everyone and everything saw the Israelites and knew of their affliction. I paused as I read that, looked up the heavens and simply asked, "do you see and know me, too?" 

He does.

And He sees and knows you, too. Be encouraged by this incredibly simple yet unfathomable truth. 

As I head "back to the basics," I am incredibly grateful that God in his mercy chose to reveal himself to humanity so that we too, in part, can see and know. While a ThM can help a person understand God's revelation, what we all desperately need is the faithfulness to get in the Word. 

Thank you, DTS, for the reading plan. Thank you even more, Father, for giving us all yourself to read.

1 comment:

Monica Rex said...

You should blog more often. I am so encouraged by you and your relentless pursuit of the Savior.